On May 3, 2017 we hosted a though-provoking panel discussion at The Robert Treat Paine Estate (Stonehurst) in Waltham, Massachusetts featuring experts discussing the importance of long-termism and why it is so difficult to adhere to.
Our distinguished panelists included Helen Britton, Ph.D. and author, and Sarah Willaimson, CEO of FCLT Global (Focusing Capital on the Long Term). President and CEO at Ballentine Partners, Drew McMorrow, moderated the discussion.
- What’s the worst you would have done in the history of our financial markets over twenty years?
- What is the difference between the return that the average equity mutual fund investor receives and the market?
- How can you spot long-term from short-term behavior in businesses?
- How does the media feed into short-term behavior?
- What drives short-term financial behavior?
- What are some of the financial costs of these behaviors and what are some of the societal implications?
- How do we avoid the media influence?
- Is it possible to create a goals-based, objective, portfolio statement?
- How much would have been gained of short-term companies had behaved like long-term companies?
- What is the projection for the future of the media industry? Is it going to get better or worse?
- Are there policy or institutional solutions?
- What can we do differently to change this aspect of our world?